Sunday, April 20, 2008

ufc 83 results

Unfortunately, I didn't get to see it, for a number of reasons. 1. I don't belong to their Fight Club, so I didn't have access to the 15,000 or so tickets that were PRE-sold.* 2. I didn't want to pay the ridiculous prices for nosebleed seats. 3. I didn't buy the pay-per-view, because everytime I have, I have wound up regretting it (e.g. UFC 61 Ortiz Shamrock 2.) and because by the time the St-Pierre Serra fight was on, I was likely to be fast asleep in front of the TV. 4. It was on the same night as the hockey (Habs vs. Bruins game 6), so very VERY few sports bars picked it up, at least in my part of the world.

* Yeah, 15,000 pre-sold. So that leaves 8,000 max available at the moment they go on sale. Then they boast about selling out in record time. WTF? To borrow from Y2J, would you please shut the HELL UP?!

But I'm glad to hear the results, with most of the matches I was interested in going "my way." Congratulations to Georges St-Pierre, Rich Franklin, Mac Danzig and Nate Quarry, not to mention the other homeboy, Jonathan Goulet!

By the way, I need to discuss GSP's nickname, "Rush." I really wonder whether the explanation that his manager gave it to him because his first fights all ended in the first round is accurate. To me, it sounds like that story was concocted to avoid having to tell the story of a beautiful example of linguistic transformation. Because I'd be far more willing to believe someone went from St-Pierre (Pierre=Stone) to "Roche" (Roche=Rock), which got anglicized phonetically along the way. Unless it's a Sting-like story, and the guy is really fond of Geddy Lee et al. Either way, his official version just sounds like he lifted it from Mike "Quick" Swick.

(311)

No comments: