Tuesday, April 15, 2008

on jewellery

I don't wear a lot of jewellery, for a variety of reasons. I tend to stick to "my" classics.

I've worn the same plugs in my ears for a year or so, mainly because I've gotten to the point where I can't easily stretch them anymore, even with lube, even after a hot shower. So I'm stuck just shy of my goal, which is zero gauge...I'm a 2 on one side, and an odd midway-let's-call-it-3 on the other.

I'll skip on the body jewellery bit, because few people know its extent; suffice to say my venom is 10 gauge, 5/8".

I wear four rings:

- My grad ring from Concordia, in white gold, engraved with my name, my grad year and program, and featuring a garnet. Yep, a garnet. Partly because the garnet is Concordia's stone, but mostly because the lady taking my order tolf me the ruby (which is my birth stone) looked really fake and pink, and I'd be less disappointed to go darker with the garnet. Lo and behold, it looks like a really rich ruby red. She was right.

- My 2007 Xmas gift to myself, the "Starlet" ring from Missy Industry, which I purchased at last year's Salon des métiers d'art.

- One of the coolest gifts I ever received, my silver ring from Pat. Once upon a time, I bought a cheap-ass ring at Walmart (gasp! I repent...) I really liked its simple block design, and I mentioned in passing I was sad when, after a year or so, the finish started peeling at the corners. I stopped wearing it. It disappeared. For my birthday, I received a box, containing two rings - the original ring, now with almost all its finish removed...and a replica, in silver. I really should get it buffed, because it's been dinged a few times since, but it's still one of the neatest things anyone has ever done for me.

- Last but not least, a beat-up ring Pat found at the club (where else?). It's a rounded square. On two opposite sides, you can very faintly make out the engraving "To Be" in flowing, cursive letters; on the other two, "Or Not". That's another one I would mind recreating in better quality material. I thought the concept was too sweet.

I rarely wear bracelets, because I currently wear a fairly heavy watch.

The only necklace I really wear is a pentagram with a raven (what else?) on a silver chain. Unfortunately, I seem to have misplaced it a week or so ago. I hope I didn't accidentally pick it up and throw it out during my spring cleaning the weekend before last. I think I'll mosey on to bed, and hope my dreams give me a clue where on earth I left it. Wish me luck.

(468)

No comments: