Friday, April 25, 2008

participation vs. commitment

I once worked for a Vice President who loved motivational speeches and PowerPoint presentations, particularly those that made abundant use of clip art and animations. In trying to initiate change, he often recited the old maxim that “Insanity is doing things the same way and expecting different results.” Perhaps, but (and this is my own quote,) “Ugliness is using every imaginable option in PowerPoint and expecting people to be impressed.”

Another of his tidbits of corporate wisdom still haunts me to this day. He showed it off proudly at one such meeting; on the slide, titled “Participation vs. commitment” was clip art of a chicken and a pig. On the next slide, there was a plate with bacon and eggs.

So let me get this straight: what you’re really saying is that instead of taking the best work I can offer on an ongoing basis and profiting in the long run, you would prefer to cook my hide for your immediate gratification. Nice.

I don’t work there anymore, but then, neither does he. He was fired almost a year before I quit.

(182)

No comments: