Wednesday, April 9, 2008

one at a time, baby

I came to the realization that posting long, rambling entries about fourteen separate subjects doesn't do it for me, which means it probably doesn't do it for anyone else, either. So, from now on, I will devote each entry to (more or less) a single topic. This one is about my writing, in all its forms.

I've written one other thing that's online; it's a piece of wwe fan fic, titled Shelter. A little one-shot, written in a single day almost exactly one year ago. At the very least, it proves that I can write over 1,600 words in a day. And one of the few comments the story generated was from a fan fic writer whose stories I enjoy very much, so that made me smile. I've just reread it, and doggone it, I still like it!

It also reminds me that that story was the first time a character has gone out and surprised me. A lot of writers say this, and it has in fact happened to me. Like I said, I pretty much wrote this straight through in one sitting; but until I got to the very end, I really thought I was dealing with an OC (original character.) Christy's revelation was one to me, too. Go figure.

I'm thinking I might just spend my evenings for the next couple of weeks (semester's over, yay!) typing up all the fan fic tidbits I scribbled madly in the train last year...who knows, maybe there's more stories yearning to surprise me. Find a way to organize them, too…just in case one day I develop the sudden urge to finish one. OK, so it’s only happened once before – that doesn’t mean I can’t hope!

Oddly, this week, I have had very few flights of fiction writing fancy. This worries me a little; not only do I have to increase my output nine-fold, it has to be a single continuous story. And I’ve started blabbing about it; I figured peer pressure would be a good way to keep me on track. Perhaps it’s the technical notices at work that have stifled my creativity…or is it the moon, the tides, the lack of sleep? But I have been going back and rereading older material; like I said, there are quite a few bits I enjoy, and that fills me with both pride and hope. Maybe ya gotta know where you've been to figure out where you're going...

In six: Wish I could have gone, too.

(414)

No comments: