Monday, April 7, 2008

the original flying v

It was said recently in the paper that if the honking of returning geese didn't lift your heart as a sure sign of spring, it was because you didn't have a heart to begin with. I concur.

On the other hand, I remember a few years back, waiting on the train platform during morning rush hour and hearing a small flock of geese coming up from the lake and flying overhead...only to be the ONLY soul at the station to even look up, much less smile. I glanced around: people had their noses in newspapers, books, Blackberrys, or were fiddling with iPods...talk about feeling alone in a crowd.

Maybe the working world has lost its collective heart.

In other news, I finally reached a boiling point over gas prices over the weekend. My car’s engine is seriously @#$%?&ed and it guzzles high-octane gas, which means I topped the $1.30 mark per litre. So this morning I walked to work. By my calculations, I saved about half a litre of gas, or just over one litre if you consider Pat wanted to keep the car for errands this afternoon. It also allowed him to sleep in, and I got to enjoy listening to the birds sing on my way in. A little post-hibernation exercise doesn’t hurt, either. All in all, a good thing. Everyone I told, however, told me I was nuts. We're talking about just over 3 kilometers (or just a shade under two miles) here. It was sunny, not too cool, just perfect for a walk. But it appears that I'm insane.

Or perhaps I just remember the surprises that crop up when you slow down enough to notice them: the crimson cardinal sitting in a still bare tree, calling to the females; the robins going nuts over a small patch of grass (yes folks, I have proof, there is yet grass around these parts!); the crows rebuilding their nest with long stringy stuff...

Well, at least I'll have enjoyed it while it was there.

No comments: