Sunday, April 20, 2008

i really, really love the next blog button

This one, I'm not even sure why I scrolled down the page. It's devoted to the Democrat presidential nomination. But I sure am happy I did.

You see, I enjoy...how can I put this...rejects. Favourite birds? Ravens and crows. Not colourful, not melodious, not even powerful predators. Black, raucous scavengers that most ornithologists can't be bothered with. Yet I think they're magnificent.

Some of my favourite flowers? (Disclaimer: Gardeners may want to look away.) Dandelions. Yup, one of the most common weeds in North America. I find their yellow beautiful, their resilience a thing of marvel, and their method of propagation simply brilliant.

OK, what does this have to do with the Democrat presidential nomination blog I found? Nothing, per se, if only that one of the Barack supporters has a dandelion tattoo on her shoulder blade.

Dandelion tattoos are few and far between, and most artists, seeing as they think themselves deprived of using white ink (but that's a matter for another day), twist the dandelion into all sorts of graphic illustrations of the plant. And this guy/gal's particular interpretation is one I hadn't come across before and which I find quite interesting - even if the quality of the tattoo line itself seems poor.

Wow. I love these unexpected finds.

(212)

No comments: