Sunday, April 6, 2008

joy to the world

Today, spring came back. For real. My heart soared.

Pat woke me up with the marvellous idea of going to the flea market. For those who don't know, there's an indoor flea market integrated into the drive-in. When the weather is nice, it expands and people set up throughout the drive-in parking lot. Today, it was packed as if it was July. Subconsciously, everyone, and I mean everyone, came out for a stroll and some bargain hunting. Teenagers in huddles, toddlers howling in strollers, slow-walking seniors...and a lot of dogs. And the canines seemed to be appreciating the walk as much as their masters, if not more. Bernese Mountain Dogs, Dachshunds, Pomeranians, a gorgeous blue-merle Shetland Sheepdog, a couple of Pugs, of course...and sadly, vendors of puppies. I won't get started, if only because I'm tired, and I feel I've said it so many times (although not in this forum). The guys today were hawking particularly big boys - Cane Corso and Neapolitan Mastiffs. The pups were about eight weeks, I'd say, and already they could take on even my Droz (or Papa, topping out at maybe 22 or so pounds.) Goddess bless those pups; may they land in good homes (hoping against hope) and live out long, happy, healthy lives.

Pat stopped the guy with the black pug, just to pet the dog and chat; I know he stops to pet almost every pug we cross, but he makes it a point to stop the black ones, just in case...Sometimes, when he sees someone walking down a side street with a small black dog, as he's driving by, he'll turn around to go check. Just in case. Sometimes I wonder if he does that for me, or for himself; either way, I love him all the more for it.

But enough with the darkness, today was a marvellous day. I came out of hibernation, and it was wonderful. We crossed paths with half of everyone we knew, bumping into someone new every couple of steps. Of course, this is standard for Pat, but heck, even I met someone I used to work with, and that's something else. (come to think of it, I bumped into another coworker on Tuesday, too...now I won't see anyone I know for a year or so!)

Friday in six: Brothers of Destruction are back, baby.

Saturday: A little bit of spring cleaning.

Sunday: Sunshine, melting snow; it's about time.

No comments: