Friday, April 18, 2008

the joys of walking to work

At first, I thought that taking over half an hour to walk to work would be a chore, but one I chose as a means of saving money and gas (as a boycott of my ugly car, too.) Now I've come to discover neat little things every morning I walk, and at the very least, the first two thirds of the walk are a nice, quiet moment. OK, so the last third makes me wonder why I put my life on the line just to get to work, but hey...

This morning, I saw two more gaggles of geese. The second was a long trail of maybe 50 or so birds, in a single diagonal. Almost – the other line of the “V” had exactly a single goose in it past the lead bird. Then, two geese broke rank, joining the other side. The checkmark turned into an arrow as it gained on another “V” formation, then into a lightning bolt when more birds broke rank. Suddenly, they turned almost due north, and the structure whipped across the sky before breaking up (at any rate from my point of view.)

(189)

No comments: