Thursday, April 3, 2008

twenty grains at a time

I'm not a gamer. Back in the day, the only game I ever completed was Super Mario Bros. 3, and that was WITH cheats. (I have since completed the DS version of Cake Mania, and the Sudoku sections of Brain Age I and II. Woot! Yeah, I know, I'm not a gamer, but I say Woot! For the record, I say Frag, too, but that stems from my comic-book days.) For the most part, I enjoy free online games that don't require you spent hours learning the button combinations. There's stuff for everyone out there. But there is one that's special, one I really need to mention: FreeRice.

It's a multiple choice word definition game, with a twist; for every word you get right, 20 grains of rice are donated to the UN World Food Program to help end hunger. It's paid for by the nice people who purchase advertising on the banner at the bottom of the screen. Personnally, I try to give 1000 grains every day I sit in front of my home computer. Today, that took me all of three and a half minutes.

A friend of mine wonders whether the world is worth trying to save, considering where it's at. Sometimes I agree, but if I was starving, I'd like people to think I was worth the effort.

Tuesday in six: Man is pregnant - April Fools'.

Today: Done with standards - what comes next?

No comments: