Thursday, April 17, 2008

another artist I admire

I really should have thought of her the first time around I started discussing artists whose work I admire. She is Nephtys, from the eponymous tattoo shop. She's based in Sherbrooke, and her black & grey portraits, honestly, can give Kat Von D a run for her money.

I think my bottom line when it comes to judging portraits is that you recognize the person not from the pose, which is how a lot of artists seem to get by, but by rendering features in such a way that your imagination can easily transpose them into an actual, believable person. Maybe that's why I tend to pay much closer attention to tattoos of people I don't know than of those that I do. How much input is required of me to imagine this person standing before me, moving, in real life? That's the mark of a truly captivating portrait. A little bit like the old superstition that photos took your soul. That's what a good portrait should strive for. And Nephtys does this admiringly well.

(175)

No comments: