Thursday, October 23, 2008

very very random bits

Well, I guess that puts me right in NaNoWriMo-land: typing randomly just to up my word count :) On the other hand, my "Effective Communications" professor would call this the computer equivalent of freewriting, I presume. I have to admit, it was a totally fun class, even though it implied dragging myself up MacTavish for thirteen weeks. It did get me writing, including some character descriptions of random people who caught my eye on the train. Like the fifty-something year-old drunk who got caught sipping his beer from a paper bag (I'm not sure where he was going - he seemed like such a downtown core type of hobo) and had to call his mom to come pick him up at...oh what the hell is it called, it used to be Val-Royal...whatever. Or inversely, the very upper-crust lady executive with the pearl necklace, tapping anxiously on her blackberry the entire ride from Central Station to Roxboro.

I don't really miss the train, particularly a) at rush hour b) running for it c) missing it by thirty seconds and having to wait for an hour. I will make an effort in coming weeks, though, as I must remember to make it downtown for the NaNoWriMo get-together/write-in in the Second Cup at Central Station. I keep remembering it's on Wednesdays...usually on Thursdays. Oh well.

In other news, if anyone out there was reading my canine worries from yesterday, it appears that whatever was ailing old Droz has been, uh, cleared. In the middle of the night, my boyfriend went to get him two cheeseburgers from McDonald's, which he promptly gobbled up. This evening, he partook in the (canine) family meal, returning a little later to polish off any leftovers. In orther words, he seems back to his old self. With any luck, he will have learned from his experience and not keep putting odd things in his mouth...oh, but who am I kidding? The big goof will never learn, and that's half of his charm.

In other news, I discovered OneNote this evening, after someone on the NaNo forums raved about using Google documents to organize his/her notes and outline. It also reminds me of Evernote, freeware that I picked up along the way but whose organizing functions I never quite mastered to my satisfaction. Is it procrastinating when I'm actually doing something useful? Sure, because there's a freelance contract I just haven't really gotten into. There is time yet.
Isn't there always, in the end? Well, yeah, except in November ;p

It's Cyber Sunday this weekend, and I really couldn't care less. This is the one PPV I've just never gotten into, and this year's lineup is so-so at best. The people's "choices" don't really feel like choices at all, and there is no way in H-E-double-hockey-sticks that I would pay for a selection that is only marginally better than "none of the above." Will I buy it? Probably, just in case Orton returns, and because Stone Cold is gonna show up. Otherwise, if recent shows are any indication, both major champs will retain, I don't care about ECW (sorry!) and the divas' costume contest or whatever? *yawn* That reminds me, I need some sleep. 'Night all.

(551)

No comments: