Wednesday, May 28, 2008

wanderer

Right after lunch yesterday, a couple of colleagues of mine came to get me, saying there was a sorry-looking stray dog in the yard, would I come see? My reputation precedes me, I guess. A bunch of people saw this dog, but no two descriptions matched. Not quite the blind men describing the elephant, but close. All I got was fairly large, white with either black or dark brown, and droopy ears. After that, the picture disintegrates, with people tossing around words like Collie, Labernese, or Spaniel. By the time I found a window, she (I was also told she had dangling teats) was nowhere to be seen; she had disappeared into the wooded lot next door. I headed out after her. Up in a tree, a crow squawked excitedly; at the base of the tree, I saw a flash of white fur, semi-long coat, with a dash of black! As soon as I spotted it, it was gone again. I called in that direction, I whistled, to no avail.

Later in the afternoon, I went into the unoccupied executive conference room that looks out onto the yard. No luck. And I got caught by the company president. D'oh! He's really a nice gentleman, and I'm sure he doesn't think ill of me for standing there, but I have such a knack for silly things like that...see next post for confirmation.

Now I can't stop thinking about her, especially since someone mentioned a spaniel. There are posters on every hydro pole in town - a lost springer spaniel. Could it be her? The prospect of finding a lost dog and returning it to its family stirs something deep inside me. I guess I long to play the hero, the part no one stepped in to fill in my time of need. (Not that Pat didn't try.) Still, all I can do is glance out now and then to see whether she returns. Time will tell if she wants my help. (Update: no one saw her at lunch today.)

(330)

No comments: