Wednesday, March 26, 2008

southland tales...what?!?

I watched Southland Tales on DVD last weekend, and I’m still scratching my head over it. Is it, as some have said, one of the worst films ever to premiere at Cannes? I can’t imagine that to be true, but I’m no cinema expert. Did I enjoy it? Yes, although I didn’t entirely understand it.

Some of the images were oddly beautiful, and the messages were consistent throughout. I felt better when Jon Lovitz stated in the bonus features that he himself didn’t understand the entire big picture. I wished I had more time to read/figure out everything that appeared on USIDent screens, but I’m rarely the type to pause or slo/mo a movie – I’m too engrossed in the story. My overall feeling is that the film was very faithful to its ideologies, maybe to the point of becoming an egotistical exercise. It was made by Richard Kelly, for Richard Kelly – and if the audience gets left behind, so be it.

It was supposed to be a nine-part “interactive experience”, it has three graphic novel prequels, and the movie itself is all over the place. Maybe too much has been thrown together to digest properly; maybe that in itself is a reflection on Western mass media culture. I wonder whether the prequel books would be of any help in deciphering Southland Tales. Suffice it to say, I didn’t truly understand the movie, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

In other news, today's summary: Check. Check. Done. To-do list complete. (And it feels soooooo good!)

None of these six-worders are particularly witty, unlike some of the "lives" that have been cropping up everywhere, but just rereading them gives a fairly effective assessment of what was on my mind and what mood I was in - anxious, silly, thankful...and it is, bar none, the simplest writing exercise I can safely commit to. For now, anyways :-)

No comments: