Sunday, March 23, 2008

literature vs. blogging

I stumbled upon this article in Montreal's La Presse about the increasing blending between blogging and traditional literature, and the sometimtes difficult relationships between authors who blog, bloggers who write, and their readers.

To say the two cannot mix is silly; just because a lot of blogs are written by amateurs with no real care for the richness of language does not mean all are. (Mind you, I am by no means positioning myself on either side of this divide; I care about writing correctly, but I have no pretension to having any great talent.) I think both sides are staring at each other from afar, wondering whether they are seeing friend or foe.

Of course, my motivation in having a blog is somehwat different from the norm; I'm not writing for an audience, I am writing for myself. In fact, I have only shared the address of this blog with a very select few friends. If readers stumble upon this page and enjoy it, so be it. It is the same approach I have towards NaNoWriMo, in that my point is not publication or recognition - my goal is completion. That is my challenge. So I stand between strict writers and obligate bloggers, and I wonder what the fuss is about.

No comments: