Saturday, July 26, 2008

more dreambits

We (about 2 dozen of us) had just completed performing in a music competition, and we were awaiting the judges' decision, waiting patiently in the convenience store on the corner of my street. Yes, it seemed like the normal thing to do. We discussed and praised each others' performances and engaged in some mindless chitchat. All the while, customers came and went as usual. That is, until a gun-toting thug came in and tried to rob the store till, and took us all hostage as a matter of course. We thoroughly outnumbered the guy, but no one made a move, even though the door to the backstore was wide open and offered a great chance for more than half of us to escape. I was the only one who made an attempt. I was wearing a bag slung over my shoulder, and someone pulled the strap and held me still. We stayed and waited.

Across the street, cop cars appeared, sirens blaring; we thought we were saved. They set up a perimeter that seemed too far from us and...facing the wrong way. Yep, they were encircling the restaurant on the opposite corner and completely ignoring us. They screamed and gestured to the patrons inside, then boom. The entire restaurant exploded, the roof shooting straight up and crashing spectacularly seconds later, as the dust began to settle. That finally shook us out of our stupor; we ran out by both exits, into the sunlight.

---

I was in a hotel room with a coworker, who was in advanced labor. It soon became apparent that all the people milling about me and myself were the midwives. It was chaotic, no one had a clue, yet this was what was expected...and things turned out just fine.

---

Another hotel room, maybe even with some of the same people - who knows, it was dreamt the same night. I was attending some sort of conference and during the proceedings, a frog jumped onto my leg, clinging to my pant leg about halfway up my shin. It was quickly established that this was a highly poisonous species (can frogs even be that harmful to humans?) and that I shouldn't disturb it. We finally figured out where it had escaped from and who it belonged to. Its owner didn't have anything to carry it in, so I was summoned to simply make my way back to his hotel room with the frog on my leg, so it could be returned to its enclosure. Which I did, crossing the crowded lobby as people discussed plans for the afternoon and what would be on the lunch menu of the hotel buffet.

---

The more I write these things, the more I feel the need to post a disclaimer: this is what I remember. No, I don't do drugs and I don't eat spicy food before bed. I'm just weird that way.

(483)

No comments: