Sunday, June 8, 2008

pondering words

I wrote a bunch of things this week on paper, that I didn't take the time to post here. Here's a short sample...

I am absolutely incapable of stringing words together today. A heavy, sleepy fog has drifted onto the landscape of my mind, prompting me to pull the drapes shut and retreat for a nap with a thick blanket, a mug of hot chocolate and a drowsy cat in my lap. It's a warm, sunny day outside, but it's not inspiring lazy, hazy feelings; my inner world has shifted to the Southern hemisphere, to a gray, hibernation-inducing chill I generally associate with November. It sounds dingy and depressing, but in fact, it feels absolutely neutral. Like an approaching mid-summer storm, it is useless to argue the sun isn't out; pack in your garden tools, head inside, and ride out the rain. Listen to it tap-tapping on the roof, thank it for watering your garden, and ponder how many shades of gray Mother Nature can concoct when she sets her mind to it.

Just a few days later, I developed two days' worth of "new" migraines, which I will discuss in a later post.

(193)

No comments: